Special associate research scientist
Office: 1431, SAA
2016/4 –Present, School of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Special associate research scientist
2012/11 - 2015/9，Department of Aerospace Engineering, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Postdoctoral research fellow.
2007/9 - 2012/10, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Solid Mechanics, PhD
2003/9 - 2007/7, Harbin Engineering University, Engineering Mechanics, Bachelor
1 Fatigue and fracture analysis of aircraft structures
Fracture mechanics; Cohesive zone mode; Weight function method; Fatigue and fatigue crack growth analysis.
2 Composite material and structural mechanics
Delamination analysis; fracture toughness measurement of composites; micro-mechanics and multi-scale modeling of composite materials and structures; crushing analysis of composite structures.
1. Shanghai Sailing Program, 17YF1409400, Failure mechanism and residual strength prediction of composite laminate. 2017/05-2020/04, PI
2. Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, Damage tolerance analysis and validation of widespread fatigue damage in civil aircraft structures. 2017/01-2021/12, Sub-project PI
3. US DoE, Validation of Material models for automotive composite structures via physical testing (including crash), 2012.11-2015.9, Main participator.
(1) Wu Xu, Xueren Wu, Yin Yu, Zhenghong Li. A weight function method for mixed modes hole-edge cracks. Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures 2017, In press.
(2) Wu Xu, Xueren Wu, Yin Yu. Weight function, stress intensity factor and crack opening displacement solutions to periodic hole-edge cracks. Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures 2017, In press.
(3) Wu Xu, Anthony M. Waas. Multiple solutions in the cohesive zone models of fracture. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2017; 177: 104-122.
(4) Wu Xu, Anthony M. Waas. Fracture toughness of woven textile composites. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2017; 169: 184-188.
(5) Wu Xu, Anthony M. Waas. Modeling damage growth using the crack band model; effect of different strain measures. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2016; 152, 126-138.
(6) Wu Xu, Solver I. Thorsson, Anthony. M Waas. Experimental and numerical study on cross-ply woven textile composite with notches and cracks. Composite Structures 2015; 132: 816-824.
(7) Wu Xu, Anthony M. Waas. Modeling the axial splitting and curling of metal tubes under crush loads. Computers, Materials & Continua 2015; 46(3): 165-194
(8) Wu Xu, Anthony M. Waas. A novel shell element for quasi-static and natural frequency analysis of textile composite structures. Journal of Applied Mechanics 2014; 81(8)
(9) W Xu, H Wang, XR Wu, X Zhang, G Bai, X Huang. A novel method for residual strength prediction for sheets with multiple site damage: Methodology and experimental validation. International Journal of Solids and Structures 2014; 51 (3), 551-565
(10)W Xu, Wu XR. Weight functions and strip-yield model analysis for three collinear cracks. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2012; 85:73-87
(11)W Xu, Wu XR, Wang H. Weight functions and strip yield solution for two equal-length collinear cracks in an infinite sheet. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2011; 78(11): 2356-2368
(12) XR Wu, W Xu. Strip yield crack analysis for multiple site damage in infinite and finite panels – A weight function approach. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2011; 78(14): 2585-2596.
(1) Wu Xu, Xue-Ren Wu, Yin Yu, Xiaojing Zhang, Xiuhua Chen. Stress intensity factor solutions to cracks emanating from multiple collinear holes. 29th International committee on aeronautical fatigue and structural integrity, June 7-9, Nagoya, Japan,2017.
(2) Wu Xu, Anthony M. Waas. A novel shell element for textile composite structural analysis.55th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS Structures, Structural Dynamics, and materials conference, January 13-17, 2014, National Harbor, Maryland, USA.
(3) Wu Xu, Anthony M. Waas. Crushing analysis and energy absorption of woven textile composite tubes. 17th US National Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics. June 15-20, 2014. Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan.