07/2019- School of Aeronautics & Astronautics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University,
04/2016–06/2019 School of Aeronautics & Astronautics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University,
11/2012 – 09/2015 University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Postdoctoral researcher fellow
- Fracture mechanics;
- Composite structural mechanics;
- Finite element theory and practical application for engineering problems;
- Development, implementation and validation of material models for analyzing material and structural in manufacturing process and service.
- Residual strength & fatigue crack growth prediction;
- Solid and Structural Mechanics (elasticity and elementary beam theory) for junior student;
- Advanced Solid Mechanics (elasticity, fracture mechanics and fatigue crack growth) for master students.
- Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of China. Damage tolerance analysis and validation of widespread fatigue damage in civil aircraft structures. 2017/01-2021/12, PI.
- Aeronautical Science Foundation of China. Novel theory and method for measuring the interlaminar fracture toughness of composites. 2018/05-2020/05, PI.
- Shanghai Sailing Program. Failure mechanism and residual strength prediction of composite laminates. 2017/05-2020/04, PI.
- Sinoma Science & Technology Co., Ltd. Fracture toughness determination and analysis of three-dimensional woven textile composites. 2018/10-2019/10, PI.
Honors and Awards
- Shanghai Sailing Program for outstanding young talent in science and technology, supported by the Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality, 2017.
- First prize, Young faculty teaching competition at school of aeronautics and astronautics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2018.
Selected journal paper (* corresponding author)
- W Xu*, DY Rao, XR Wu, DH Tong, XC Zhao. Wide-range and accurate mixed-mode weight functions and stress intensity factors for cracked discs. Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures 2020;43:1022-1037
- Wu Xu*, ZZ Guo, Y Yu, A combined strain and compliance method for improving ASTM D6671 to measure the mixed modes I/II interlaminar fracture toughness. Composite structures 2019; 221:110867
- ZX Liu, W Xu*, Y Yin, XR Wu. Weight functions and stress intensity factors for two unequal-length collinear cracks in an infinite sheet. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2019; 209:173-186.
- W Xu*, ZZ Guo, Y Yu, J Xiong, Y Gao. Experimental and analytical characterizations of finite interlaminar crack growth of 2D woven textile composites. Composite Structures 2018; 206: 713–721.
- XR Wu*, DH Tong, XC Zhao, W Xu. Review and evaluation of weight functions and stress intensity factors for edge-cracked finite-width plate. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2018; 195:200-221.
- W Xu*, ZZ Guo. A simple method for determining the mode I interlaminar fracture toughness of composites without measuring the growing crack length. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2018; 191: 476-485.
- W Xu*, XR Wu, Y Yu, ZH Li. A weight function method for mixed modes hole-edge cracks. Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures 2018; 41(1):223-234.
- Y Shen*, J Wang, W Xu. Nonlinear features of guided wave scattering from rivet hole nucleated fatigue cracks considering the rough contact surface condition. Smart Materials and Structures 2018; 27:105044.
- XR Wu*, XC Zhao, W Xu, DH Tong. Discussions on weight functions and stress intensity factors for radial crack(s) emanating from a circular hole in an infinite plate. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2018; 192: 192-204.
- W Xu*, XR Wu, Y Yu. Weight function, stress intensity factor and crack opening displacement solutions to periodic hole-edge cracks. Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures 2017; 40: 2068–2079.
- W Xu*, AM Waas*. Multiple solutions in cohesive zone models of fracture. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2017; 177: 104-122.
- W Xu, AM Waas*. Fracture toughness of woven textile composites. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2017; 169: 184-188.
- W Xu, AM Waas*. Modeling damage growth using the crack band model; effect of different strain measures. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2016; 152: 126-138.
- W Xu, SI Thorsson, AM Waas*. Experimental and numerical study on cross-ply woven textile composite with notches and cracks. Composite Structures 2015; 132: 816-824.
- W Xu, AM Waas*. Modeling the axial splitting and curling of metal tubes under crush loads. Computers, Materials & Continua 2015; 46(3): 165-194
- W Xu, AM Waas*. A novel shell element for quasi-static and natural frequency analysis of textile composite structures. Journal of Applied Mechanics 2014; 81(8)
- W Xu, H Wang*, XR Wu, X Zhang, G Bai, X Huang. A novel method for residual strength prediction for sheets with multiple site damage: Methodology and experimental validation. International Journal of Solids and Structures 2014; 51 (3), 551-565
- W Xu, Wu XR*. Weight functions and strip-yield model analysis for three collinear cracks. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2012; 85:73-87
- W Xu, Wu XR*, Wang H. Weight functions and strip yield solution for two equal-length collinear cracks in an infinite sheet. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2011; 78(11): 2356-2368
- XR Wu*, W Xu. Strip yield crack analysis for multiple site damage in infinite and finite panels – A weight function approach. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 2011; 78(14): 2585-2596.
- XR Wu, DH Tong, W Xu, XC Zhao. Weight function methods in fracture mechanics: theory and applications. AVIC Press 2019, in press. In Chinese 702 pages. This book was supported by the National Press Fund of China.